Sunday 6 January 2008

good and going

This is probably the last post in a while. I'm getting used to the MacBook. I took it home over Christmas just by sliding it into my backpack between t-shirts, chocolates and books. It's very slim indeed.

Before I fall silent, I can't help but ask what's up with the laptop's drives. I've mentioned the idiocy of a hard disk that's unchangeable by the average user's grandmother. The DVD drive presents another example. It doesn't have a tray that slides out. Instead, you slide the disk into a thin slit. All fine normally. However, when things don't go normally, e.g. when a disk is not recognized after being inserted, you have a problem. The disk that doesn't show up on the Desktop cannot be ejected, on my computer anyway. A friend told me that the button in the top right corner always activates the ejection mechanism, but that's not the case for me. There is no button on the drive, and there is no pinhole to force-open the drive. On two occasions (trying to watch pirated DVDs, admittedly), a had to shut down the computer to get things working again.

This is not something I do regularly and not something that will drive me up the wall. So, for the record, I go so far as to say that I'd love the Mac if I could pick my own hardware. If there were only one hundredth the number of OSX-compatible laptops as there are Windows-compatible machines, I'd surely find something right. With the operating system itself, I don't have major issues (short of a real Alt key that gets me into an application's menu bar quickly and easily).

And that's it, folks.

No comments: