Friday 9 November 2007

first steps

I did this yesterday, but hadn't decided on the blog yet.

I unpack the computer and turn it on. The very same moment, all color seems to fade from my Thinkpad running next to it on the desk. The Mac's screen is a beauty, caressing my feeble eyes with brightness and intense colors. The IBM looks very pale indeed. In contrast, the Mac's keyboard doesn't feel right. It's metallicky in a weird way, and not all keys are where they're supposed to be. The enter key is small and far away. I kid you not when I say that my pinky is wider than the key. I don't have fat fingers, either. The tilde migrated three rows down, presumably to be less overlooked. There seems to be no delete key, or am I just overlooking it?

Before I can use the computer, I have to go through a few screenfuls of configuration with lovingly animated transitions. Welcome to Macworld. "In order to gain access, please give us your name, address, telephone number, date of birth, bank information, credit card numbers and your favorite color." Does Steve Jobs really need to know all this? Apparently, because if I refuse intimate details, the whole process stalls permanently. Wireless configuration is just like under Windows. The same goes for the Mighty Mouse.

Finally, the system is up and running. I install Firefox and a few essential extensions, namely Greasemonkey, Adblock Plus and Chipmark. Why can't I seem to get rid of the Chipmark toolbar folder? I remember having had prolonged difficulties with this on my Thinkpad, but I eventually overcame them. Don't remember how, though.

No comments: