Sunday 16 March 2008

hate the mac

I'm working with my MacBook many hours each day. I love certain aspects of it, and overall, I think it's a solid machine and the most useful tool available for my job. But there are things about it that I just hate. And they drive me nuts because they'd be mostly easy to fix.

  • The touchpad – This is so pathetic. Try using Illustrator with one mouse button, or PyMOL, or coot. I'm inclined to think it's possible, but I'm dead certain that you wouldn't want to because it's as productive as banging your head against a stone wall.
  • The display – Now, I like the screen for its size and brightness, but I hate it for the fact that I can't open it as I like. Try working with the MacBook on your lap. In order to look directly at the screen and to get full brightness, you'd have to push the cover back farther than is possible. So you end up looking at the screen from a suboptimal angle, and the top half of the screen appears brighter than the bottom half, or the other way around, depend on your viewing angle. This might be because of the LED backlight.
  • General sluggishness – Despite being three years older, my ThinkPad is much more responsive to clicks, there's no spinning ball of death, and I can flatten layers in Photoshop with Alt-L + F.
  • X11 – What makes OSX so powerful is not the OS, but the X. You can relatively easily modify most of the serious software running under Unix and Linux to run under OSX. But why is X11 shipping with OSX not nearly as user-friendly as the one that came with RedHat 5.2, which I installed on my little Sony nine years ago? What happened to middle-click to paste? I why is it so poorly customizable? I would like the focus to follow the mouse. I would also like to see the individual X11 programs in the dock. Here, a lot of development work remains to be done, but I don't think Apple takes this seriously. X11 has been crashing left and right since OSX was upgraded to version 5.
  • Transparency – Some people go off about how beautiful OSX is. I want my computer to be fast. For beauty I turn to women. So just give me the option to turn all this eye candy off.
  • The keyboard – Whose idea was it to put the return key out of reach of my pinkie, and why is it almost the smallest key around? Apparently, this flaw has been addressed in the latest incarnation of the MacBook Pro, but there is still no forward delete key. Does anyone who designs this stuff actually use it?
  • Preview Icons – What good does it really do me if the contents of a text file are previewed in its icon in illegible 0.25pt font? What's the point of icons if I have to look at the file name's extension to see what kind it is? I love clear and unambiguous Windows icons. Sometimes I get these with OSX as well, for pdf files, for example. But why do Illustrator files (*.ai) sometimes get a pdf icon?
  • Microsoft Office – MacOffice on a blazing MacBook Pro is about ten times slower than Office XP on my old PC. MacOffice 2008 is supposed to fix things but is highly unstable. The blame lies squarely with Microsoft, and yet I hate the Mac for it because it's supposed to work splendidly.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very fine......